Friday, April 19, 2013

Snow Weather... Again. Disbelief Erased.

The past few times we've received reports that heavy snowfall would occur this month after everything on the ground has finally melted, I've laughed.  I didn't take it seriously.

And so I always ended up with tons of snow, and a very bad mood to go along with it.

So this time...

I'm prepared.

::cue suspenseful music::

The weather was yucky when I took my daughter to school yesterday.  It was dark, wet, and dreary.  When I got home, I turned on my computer to find my weather gadget filled with red, bold-faced words.

Weather Alert.

I clicked on it and discovered this:

Weather map via The Weather Channel, showing rain, ice, and snow in various locations.  orange Winter Weather Advisory banner on top
4-6 inches of snow over the next 36 hours...
What?!


My response was this:

Stick figure shouting "Nooooooooo!" with head thrown back.


Very different from my normal laughter.  I've finally learned my lesson.

I took it seriously.  

So here's the way my thought process went:

Stick figure with a smile, pointing a thoughtful finger in the air.
Statement of Problem
It's going to snow.

Overstatement of Problem
There will be a few feet of snow on my roof.

Massive Overstatement of Problem
The snow will cause mass extinctions in the region.

Application of Pseudo-Science to Find Cause
Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong, will.

Problem Solving and Critical Thinking Skills
When I don't believe snow will fall, I laugh.  Snow falls within hours of this action.
Snow is therefore caused by a) disbelief, and b) laughter.
Belief is the opposite of disbelief, while tears are the opposite of laughter.

Solution
I will wash all of our winter gear in order to show my belief in snowfall.  While this is occurring, I will also watch a sappy, tear evoking drama.

 See?  Problem solved.

I looked out the window.

Yard devoid of snow, brown, and wet.

And waited...


Then waited some more...

What was the result of my painstaking effort to avoid snowfall?  Well, this morning I woke up to this:

Large blanket of snow covering the yard.


Something tells me my brilliant plan was a failure.

The bright side?  There's enough snow to make the hill beside our house into prime sledding material.



No comments:

Post a Comment