Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Living In a Non-Blizzard Bubble

You know that huge Blizzard that raged through the Midwest?

The one that dumped crazy amounts of snow on Minnesota, Wisconsin, and South Dakota?  The storm that caused over 500 crashes, and over 1000 spin-outs, leaving cars in ditches for miles upon miles, and knocking out satellite reception due to pounds of snow falling on people's receivers?

Yeah, I wasn't a part of that.

We got oodles of snow here, just fifty miles away from Minneapolis, but we were in this tiny little non-blizzard bubble.  Seriously.  As the snow came down, non-stop, I periodically checked the weather radar maps, and watched the snow move over and around the area that I live in.

This is a constant.  

For whatever reason, this tiny part of Southern Minnesota just doesn't normally get hit as hard as the rest of the state when bad weather comes in. Perhaps the lakes that surround us have something to do with it.  Maybe it has to do with the hills.  Possibly, it's both of these factors combined.

I honestly don't know.  What I do know, however, is that this strangely protective environmental bubble was the reason why this area was settled in from the very beginning (as in, before the Europeans came so long ago).

Therefore, the majority of the storm avoided us.

What does this mean for me?

Well, it means that even though the snowfall was constant, it wasn't as bad as everywhere around my strangely protective environmental bubble.  I, therefore, did the most logical thing possible.

I played.

And played.

And then I played some more.

My daughter and I were having environmentally friendly fun in the great outdoors, building masterpieces in the snow, throwing snowballs, and generally having a great time.

For hours on end.

We ended up completely exhausted... and happy.  No television, not computer games, no technology at all. Well, except for the couple of pictures that I had to take to document this beautiful blanket of snow.


Can you blame me, though?

Tomorrow I'll have more for you, but today I'll just going to sit back with a book and some hot chocolate...

And relax!

Hey!  Playing hard all day long can be exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment