Sunday, October 7, 2012

Ginormous Goose Eggs!

It was frigid yesterday morning as I headed to the farmers market.

My daughter and I were both bedecked with winter clothing: thermal underwear, long sleeved shirts and pants on top of that, thick coats, and gloves. I'm not exaggerating when I say there was snow mixed in with the light sprinkle of rain outside.

I thought it was my imagination, but a man sitting at a vendor table in snow pants assured me that yes, it had snowed a bit that morning.  Indeed, the salsa lady that I favor above all others at the market (who doesn't love salsa?) pointed out that a tent near her table had a heater inside.

Wow!!!

Teeth chattering, I began to question if a trip to the farmers market was such a wise idea.

But then...
I noticed something at the table just off to my right.

Gigantic, enormous, gargantuan eggs!

Goose eggs, to be precise.  I've never eaten goose eggs, so these were rare treasures in my eyes!  I continued my shopping at the farmers market, knowing that even with the temperatures being so low this trip was well worth it!

What did I get this time?

Faribault farmers market bounty October 6, 2012

1 jar of XX Hot Salsa (One of my sisters is getting that!)
1 bag of potatoes
3 heirloom tomatoes
1 bag of apples
1 white gourd
1 bag of chocolate chip cookies
2 lbs of honey - Yum!!!
1 mini pumpkin
1 dozen organic chicken eggs, and of course...
2 Ginormous goose eggs!!!

Any guesses as to what my prize was this time?  Ha ha!

The goose eggs were a bit pricey for me, being $1 each, but they're Goose Eggs!  How do you say no to that?

You don't.  Period.  You have to try them.

So that's exactly what I did.

I briefly considered saving them, since one of my sisters will be up here in a couple of days, all the way from the desert southwest, but then I happily remembered that she's not one for eating eggs, so...

Second Breakfast!!!  Woooooo!!!!!



I scrambled a goose egg, then placed it, along with 1 piece of bacon, onto this 8.5 inch plate, and dug in with total joy. Frodo would have been proud.

Yeah.  It was that big.

And delish!

So the next time you happen to see someone selling goose eggs at a farmers market, buy one.  You won't regret it!





No comments:

Post a Comment