Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Mint Addiction, Part 2

(Continued from yesterday)

What in the world was I going to do?!  Where was I going to put all of that mint?  What was I thinking?!

See, I briefly mentioned before that mint can become rather invasive in this area.  That being said, I needed to be sure I didn't end up with mint growing throughout the yard.

I'm renting, after all, so no matter how much I would enjoy an invasion of minty goodness throughout the yard, allowing this to happen would not be particularly polite.  If the next renter doesn't care for it, after all, it'll invade the yard, turning it into a jungle of minty vines.


Well, ok.  Maybe it's not quite that bad, but you get the picture.

Mint has the ability to sprout roots through any stem that has been allowed to fall onto the soil.  Therefore, any low lying stem can cause additional plants to form.  As long as I'm here, this is nothing to worry about.  I eat far too much mint for this to become a problem.

Key phrase:  As long as I'm here.

I don't know what the next renters will be like.  I don't even know if anyone will rent the house soon after we leave.  All I know is that there's a potential for a problem if I'm not careful about where I plant.

The first plant was easy.  I have a small plastic pot I can use, which will actually be a huge benefit once cold weather returns.  It is now the designated inside/outside plant.


This gorgeous peppermint can come inside with me during the colder months so that I can have mint all year long!  Hooray!!!!!

Next I planted the spearmint.  Since I already had sweet mint in the top planter on the porch it seemed natural to place the spearmint in the planter below that.  The squirrels did a great job of destroying the canterbury bells I had there, so I figured it was safe to try the spearmint in that location.




Is it just me, or does it look horribly lonely?  I'll have to let that one grow out and allow it to take over the planter.  That is, if I can manage to hold back from picking it all!

Last, I planted the sweet mint.  That one I wasn't so good about keeping sectioned off from everything else.  I planted it in the raised garden in the front yard.



The sweet mint is at the front right side of the picture.  I know what you're thinking.  You're wondering why, after going through so much trouble to ensure there was no uncontrollable mint growth, I'd plant my sweet mint in an area it could so easily overtake.  You're right to be confused.

First, I had no other pots to place it in.  Second, I'm very selfish when it comes to my mint.  I have no doubt that when it's time to move I'll simply dig it out of the ground and take it with me.

No, I wont leave a huge pit in the garden for the next renters.  Again, that wouldn't be polite.  I'll simply place some fresh compost into the area to fill it in, as well as feed the soil around it.

I think I may finally have enough mint to keep me happy!

4 comments:

  1. Great post, like always! I am very much impressed with your work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Rachel! I'm glad that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,

    I googled "mint addiction" today and found your blog. Looks like we are "in the same club". Your story was very good reading and funny too.

    Best,

    Another mint addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karuke! Since planting it I've been in Mint Heaven. Every. Single. Day. I'd highly recommend planting a bunch of your own, if your addiction to mint is as strong as mine. Unless, of course, you already have some planted, in which case, Rock on!!!

      Delete