Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wildlife Identification

I've spent a lot of time staring at the ground, lately.  No, this has nothing to do with emotional turmoil or low self-image.  Rather, it has to do with life.

Wildlife, that is.

I've been watching insects, getting up close with worms, and staring at various plants.  They all have stories.  Each one helps keep the natural balance of my yard.  Some I like, while others cause me to growl when I see them.


It occurred to me, though, that I really don't know as much as I'd like about any of them.  Some I look at and say, "Hey!  That's an ant!"  or a dandelion...  or whatever else happens to be in my line of vision.  Others, however, I don't even recognize.

This makes sense.  I'm not from this area, after all. 

But it also makes sense to learn as much as possible:  Seek the identification of what I don't know, and enhance my knowledge base when it comes to wildlife that I do recognize.

I'm going to begin this process here.  From time to time I'll talk about a given plant, animal, or fungus that I find.  I'll look into what role it plays, what historic or cultural interest it may have, what its uses are, or for that matter, if there even is a human use for it. 

I want to know as much as I can, and I want to share that knowledge with you.  Let the wildlife identification begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment