Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Grapevines!!!

Previously, I had pointed out some vines that were obviously not grapevines.  I still don't know what they are.  That's ok, though, because that's not what I'm going to talk about today.

What I am going to talk about is my excitement over discovering three additional vines that look nothing like the aformentioned mystery vine.  Why on earth would I be excited about a second vine type? 


Because this is what I saw.


Look at the shape.  The harsh curves, the thick stem...  this is exactly the way a grapevine is shaped.  Add the leaf buds to that.  They're growing out in the same manner that my concord grapes grew.  Further, I saw the tendrils that grip onto whatever they can find in an attempt to climb to great heights.

I have grapevines!!!

I have no idea what kind of grapes these are, whether they're green or purple, how large they'll get...  but I have no doubt that I'll have grapevines gracing my back fence in the future.  My only concern is that they may end up being ornamental.  If grapes aren't properly pruned back in the fall for a long enough period of time they become horribly sour and small, hence, ornamental.

Cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment