Monday, March 12, 2012

Energy Saving Success!

Many of you may remember my Energy Leech entry, in which I was frantically trying to find ways to conserve energy (especially gas) in the pre-1900s home that I'm renting.  I caulked up cracks, I reduced the thermostat levels, and went on a crazed hunt for every energy leak I could possibly find.  I was determined to reduce my gas usage from the 5.2 therms per day that stared up at me from my energy bill.

Well, we got our energy bill today.  I opened the envelope slowly, nervous to see the result.  Did I do any real good here?  Have I made any true impact on our energy usage?  I held my breath and let my eyes fall to the page that would answer my questions.



4.6 therms!!!  I did it!

Sure, that's still high, and sure, I'm nowhere near the energy usuage level that I wish to be at.  At the same time, though, that's a pretty significant drop.  It's amazing what a few simple pieces of weatherproofing can do.

Of course, before I become too proud of myself, I need to remember that temperature has a lot to do with the results.  February, after all, was warmer than January, and part of this change is a result of that, no doubt.

Regardless, the small changes I made did make a difference, however small that difference may be, and my energy usuage in general has fallen.  Even electricity, which I wasn't truly focusing on, dropped from 705kw per month down to 664 kw per month. 

Not too shabby for a 2000 square foot house!

No comments:

Post a Comment